Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Burp cloths

Oh, thank goodness for burp cloths! I can probably count on one hand the number of burp cloths I used with Ella. With Shep... well let's just say that I have about a dozen and we wash them quite regularly. He spits up like nobody's business! At least he's a happy spitter and it doesn't bother him at all. It's just annoying to always have that smell on him and us.
Luckily, before he was born, I found a great tutorial online about making burp cloths. For the life of me, I can't remember the site but if I find it or you know it please let me know. I'll link to it because this was something that I saw as inspiratation and I don't want anyone to think I stole it and made it my idea!!

I simply bought a pack of diapers. I bought Gerber prefold birdseye weave. They don't look the best (in that boutiquey kind of way) but they are ultra absorbent and I'm glad *now* that I bought these. I had no idea then how useful they would be! I also bought some cute ribbon, ric rac and double fold bias quilt binding. NOTE: I did NOT pre-wash mine and they have been just fine.

First, get the diaper. Choose your ribbon and cut 2 strips the length of the burp cloth. Starting at the top of the diaper, sew the ribbon onto the burp cloth. I try to keep the sewing machine in the center of the ribbon. Do this for both strips of ribbon.

Next, measure your quilt binding to the diaper and cut. Do this for the top and the bottom. Fold it over the diaper and sew. Do this for both ends. Zig Zag the stitch for that "extraness"! That's it!









I will definitely be giving these to new mommies in the future. I just hope they don't have a spitter-upper like I have!!

Head on over to Today's Creative Blog for more DIY ideas!

4 comments:

  1. These are darling!! I would love for you to join our Baby Week link party with this and any other fun baby ideas!!

    http://oopsey-daisy.blogspot.com/2010/05/baby-week-and-link-party_05.html

    Have a great day and thanks for sharing!
    ~Alison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will do... thanks for your link!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to make some burp cloths and have set it aside (for over a year now!!!) The part I need help with is finishing the ends. I can handle the quilt binding folded over the edge, but what do you do about the corners? That's where I gave up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather, I left the corners "raw" and I've washed them SO many times and they frayed a bit the first time and that's it. I'm not one to stress about those small details so the raw edges didn't bother me at all. I'll get a picture on my blog of a nice "used" burp cloth so you can see how it looks!

    ReplyDelete